Water Repellent Durability Testing
The ASTM D-1913 Water Spray Test indicates what performance could be expected for one minute of rain exposure.
A pattern of rain can easily take an hour to pass. We believe this can be represented by 50 consecutive water spray cycles. The fabric is exposed to 30 seconds of heavy spray alternating with 30 seconds of soak time, repeated 50 times for a total of approximately 50 minutes. The results show significant differences in the performance of the products tested. Some won't protect you for more then a few minutes, maybe a short sprint from a small parking lot, but not much more.
Silicone Water-Guard® gives long lasting real protection but like all silicones does not survive washing in detergent or dry cleaning.
- Test fabrics were sprayed in accordance with manufacturer's Directions.
- Test fabrics were then dried in accordance with manufacturer's Directions.
- Treated fabrics were evaluated by ASTM Standard Water Spray Test D-1913.
- Testing was conducted as follows: Spray rate = 8-fl. oz. per 30 seconds.
At the end of each spray cycle the test fabric was evaluated and scored in accordance with the Standard Spray Test Ratings.
STANDARD SPRAY TEST RATINGS
- 100 No Sticking or Wetting of Upper Surface
- 90 Slight Random Sticking or Wetting of Upper Surface
- 80 Wetting of Upper Surface at Spray Points
- 70 Partial Wetting of Whole of Upper Surface
- 50 Complete Wetting of Whole of Upper Surface
- 0 Complete Wetting of Whole Upper and Lower Surface
- Water-Guard® is a registered trademark of Atsko, Inc.
- TX-Direct® is a registered trademark of Nikwax Waterproofing Ltd.
- Tent & Gear Proof® is a registered trademark of Nikwax Waterproofing Ltd.
Woolite® is a registered trademark of Rickett and Colman.
50 Consecutive Test Durability
by continuous repetition of ASTM Water Spray Test D-1913